In an age when anyone and everyone can share their opinion online, it can be hard to sort through the noise to find reliable information on the topics that matter to accountants and tax professionals. It is virtually impossible to know exactly how many total blogs exist on the Internet, but some have estimated that number to be upwards of 500 million as of 2018.
For industries like accounting and tax, it is even more important to ensure that the facts you find are trustworthy. After all, your clients’ livelihood (along with the success and longevity of your practice) is on the line. With changes like tax reform and government regulations surrounding us, where can accounting and tax professionals (and taxpayers) look to find dependable information?
There are some exceptional blogs out there, but it can be hard to sort through and find them. So, we did a lot of the work for you and compiled a list of the best 25 tax and accounting blogs to read in 2019.
These blogs are up-to-date on tips, strategies, rules and regulations, as well as having well-written content and a consistent posting schedule. They are not ranked, but listed in alphabetical order.
We hope this list will come in handy for you as navigate through any changes that may be forthcoming this year. Perhaps they will even inspire you to start writing tax and accounting content of your own!
- Accountex Report – A great source that covers the latest accounting technology.
- AccountingDepartment.com – Blog writers share their expertise and collective accounting experience to cover the most important topics that will benefit small business owners.
- Accounting Today – The latest accounting news & information for the public accounting profession.
- AccountingWEB – Online community for CPAs in the United States, providing news, tools and guidance from top industry voices.
- AICPA Insights – Features posts from AICPA staff and accounting professionals on a variety of topics affecting the accounting profession.
- Big 4 – Big 4 Accounting Firms Blog. Provides latest news about PwC, Deloitte, EY & KPMG.
- Bloomberg BNA Tax & Accounting Blog – Brings you in-depth analysis from leading practitioner-experts, timesaving practice tools, news, commentary, and primary sources.
- CountingWorks Blog – Accounting, tax, and finance content by leading industry experts geared toward helping small business owners be successful.
- CountingWorks PRO Blog – Provides ongoing marketing, practice management and technology articles, webinars and research as well as strategies and tactics to help small accounting and tax practices to grow and thrive.
- CPA Trendlines – Actionable intelligence for the Tax, Accounting, and Finance Community.
- Don’t Mess With Taxes – Kay Bell uses her blog to translate taxes into money-saving English.
- Entrepreneur Accounting Blog – Provides the latest news, videos, and discussion topics on accounting.
- FitSmallBusiness Accounting Blog – A great how-to resource for tax and accounting professionals.
- Forbes – Tax Blog – The latest news and top stories in tax from qualified contributors like Taxgirl.
- FreshBooks Blog – Actionable insights into all aspects of running a small business from FreshBooks Cloud Accounting.
- Going Concern – Provides original news and insider analysis of the culture, people, and firms that shape the industry.
- Journal of Accountancy – Great resource for CPAs, providing daily professional and regulatory updates, breaking news and videos.
- OSYB Number Crunch – This accounting and bookkeeping blog by Ed Becker is a great source for recent accounting new and helpful tips.
- TaxBuzz Blog – Offers tax information and insights and small business guides for accountants, tax professionals, startups and growing entrepreneurs.
- Taxgirl – Kelly Phillips Erb – Forbes – Kelly is a senior editor at Forbes and provides articles around tax policy, tax related security and technology issues.
- TaxMama – Online community that provides live tax help and resources when you need it.
- Tax Policy Blog – Tax Foundation – Provides principled research and insightful analysis from engaged experts at the nation’s leading independent tax policy nonprofit.
- TaxProf Blog – Provides news, information and resources for tax professors.
- TaxVox Blog – Research & commentary blog provided by voices of Tax Policy Center’s researchers and staff.
- 5 Minute Bookkeeping – Great source for bookkeeping content. Shares a lot of Quickbooks knowledge, including tips and tutorials.
All blogs on this list provide up-to-date information for the tax and accounting industry and provide valuable insights on a consistent basis.
Bonus blog: Need a laugh? Mark’s Acc Jokes is a not-so-serious accounting blog maintained by London accountant Mark Lee, who loves putting a new spin on the stereotypically “boring” accountant. Chock full of accounting witticisms, one-liners, and anecdotes, Mark is the resident expert in helping accountants laugh at themselves. Check this one out when you need a break from rules and regulations.
Be sure to check out our other top lists: The 15 Best LinkedIn Groups, 25 Best Twitter Accounts, and 15 Best Facebook Groups for Tax and Accounting Professionals in 2019.
If you are an accounting, tax or bookkeeping professional and have questions about blogging or about how you can generate more referrals from content creation, contact us today at 1-800-442-2477 or set up some time to speak with one of our accountant marketing experts. We offer a full suite of digital marketing packages, including posting high-quality tax and accounting content to your practice’s blog and improving your search engine rankings.