No matter your stance on it, there’s no denying that social media is an integral part of our world in the digital age.
Since its start in 2006, Twitter has grown to a community of more than 330 million monthly active users and is not only a place for connection with friends, colleagues, and public figures, but is also one of the main sources used by some to stay up to date on the latest news and trending topics.
Companies can successfully use Twitter to meet community members where they’re already spending time. Increasing social reach through valuable content, engagement, and influencer partnerships is helpful for establishing your brand as a thought leader in the industry.
Twitter is also a great way to get updated quickly on the latest changes to rules, regulations, and deadlines. You can use it to engage with industry peers through topic discussions or live chats like our monthly #TaxBuzzChat. Plus, it can help you effectively relay important information to your followers (and maybe even help you find new leads).
This significant conversation platform is one that tax and accounting professionals cannot afford to miss out on.
A best practice to stay on top of tax and accounting news is to create a list of experts and influencers to follow. Below are our 25 best tax and accounting Twitter accounts to follow in 2020 (in alphabetical order). You can follow them all via our Twitter list here.
- @accountingtoday – Accounting Today, a SourceMedia brand, is the independent news and information resource for tax and accounting professionals.
- @accountingweb – The leading online community for professional accountants, providing useful, practical advice and inspiration so accountants can make more informed decisions.
- @AICPA – The official Twitter account of the American Institute of CPAs.
- @bstonerCPA – Award-Winning CPA; Forbes 2020 top 100 Twitter Tax Acct; Quoted on MarketWatch CNBC & CNN; #TaxPlanning & #TaxPrep for Small Business!
- @CariWestonCPA – #AICPA Director-Tax Practice & Ethics.
- @cbriancpa – CPA focusing on tax planning, compliance, start-ups & entrepreneurs.
- @CountingWorks – Get #accounting, #tax, #bookkeeping, and #virtualCFO help from qualified professionals. Free for individuals and #smallbusiness owners.
- @CPAPlanner – Retirement and tax super-nerd, Proud dad and husband, Steelers fan, “Lead Financial Planning Nerd” @ http://Kitces.com, always learning, dedicated to educating others.
- @CPA_Trendlines – Live links to breaking news for tax, accounting and finance professionals.
- @DebFoxFinancial – Strategic Tax Planning. Startups. ProForma Financials. Cash Flow.
- @edzollars – Tax CPA & CPE Lecturer for Kaplan Financial Education. Author of material on Current Federal Tax Developments website.
- @gregkyte – I’m a CPA and a stand up comedian. I tweet jokes. Accounting Jokes. They’re hilarious. Also cartoons.
- @IRStaxpros – IRS news and guidance for tax professionals.
- @leereams2 – CEO of ClientWhys, www.CountingWorks.com and www.TaxBuzz.com. Sales and marketing automation software for tax and accounting pros.
- @NATPTAX – The National Association of Tax Professionals (NATP) serves professionals through tax education, research, updates, publications and office supplies.
- @NayoCarterGray – Savvy virtual Accountant by day who loves a corny joke, funky glasses, and is passionate about financial literacy… #Top100MustFollowTaxTwitterAccounts
- @RichardRubinDC – I cover U.S. tax policy for the @WSJ. There is ALWAYS a tax angle.
- @ShaynaCPA – CPA.CITP, CGMA, Tech addict. Forward thinker. Smiler. Mom. Trying to control my addiction to chocolate chip cookies.
- @SoCalTaxProf – TaxProf Blog: The #1 tax blog on the Internet. Dean and Tax Professor at Pepperdine Law School.
- @SylviaDionCPA – #CPA Founder & Partner #SALT Firm, #EconomicNexus Guru #StateTax #SalesTax Blogger/Writer, Forbes #Tax to follow 2015-2020, PROUD Mexican-American LATINA
- @taxbuzzonline – Forbes Top 100 #Tax Twitter to Follow. Get #tax & #accounting help from highly-rated professionals. Easy & free service for individuals & #smallbusiness.
- @taxgirl – #Tax #lawyer, happily writing for @Forbes and @tax. Coffee drinker, proud mom (yes, those are related). More at http://taxgirl.com
- @taxfoundation – America’s leading tax policy resource, informing smarter tax policy at the federal, state, and global levels since 1937.
- @TaxMama – Award winning author – Top 100 accountant and tax blog – dean of TaxMama’s® #EnrolledAgent (EA).
- @taxtweet – Here.👉🏼 There.☝🏼 Somewhere.👈🏼 Sometimes.🤞Or in #Texas blogging ✍️ at Don’t Mess With #Taxes.
And don’t forget to follow us…
@CountingWksPRO – Kick traditional tax and accounting marketing to the curb with our all-in-one practice growth platform.
This is our curated list based on expertise, frequency of posts and engagement and number of followers. It is listed in alphabetical order, not by number of followers. The list includes key influencers of the tax and accounting industry that provide valuable insights and updated industry information on a regular basis via their Twitter accounts.
Other great accounts to follow:
- @cpapracadvisor – Today’s Technology for Tomorrow’s Firm
- @nittiaj – Tax guy @rubinbrownllp. Writer @forbes. Tax Prof @uofdenver and @ggu.
- @RobergTax – I specialize in individual and small business (one or two owner) taxes.
- @ShaunHunley – Sketch comedian turned tax attorney and author (not a stretch).
- @TropicalTax – Founder/CEO Tropical Tax Solutions: Founded in Paradise, Serving Clients Everywhere | #EnrolledAgent | @DaveRamsey ELP | @Forbes Must-Follow Tax Account
Also, be sure to check out our other curated lists:
The 15 Best Facebook Groups for Accountants and Tax Professionals in 2020
The 15 Best LinkedIn Groups for Accountants and Tax Professionals in 2020
The 25 Best Tax and Accounting Blogs – 2020 (coming soon!)
If you are an accounting, tax or bookkeeping professional and have questions about Twitter or about how you can generate more referrals from social media, contact us today at 1-800-442-2477 or set up some time to speak with one of our accountant marketing experts.