These days, Twitter is not only a great platform to stay connected with friends and public figures, but is also one of the main mediums that some people use to keep updated on the latest news and trending topics. Companies can use Twitter to engage with influencers and the community, and have the potential to establish themselves as thought leaders by joining in on important conversations for their industry.
With more than 336 million monthly active users worldwide as of 2018 (67 million of which are in the US), this is a giant conversation platform that businesses cannot afford to miss out on.
As an added motivator, just think of how complex and rapidly evolving the tax and accounting industry is: Twitter can be a great way to quickly get information on new updates, rules, guidelines and deadlines. Plus, beyond helping you keep track of dates and changes, the platform allows you to effectively relay important information to your followers and to engage in discussions on those topics with industry peers.
A best practice to stay on top of tax and accounting news is to create a list of experts and influencers to follow. Here are the 25 best tax and accounting Twitter accounts to follow in 2019.
- @accountingtoday – Accounting Today, a SourceMedia brand, is the independent news and information resource for tax and accounting professionals.
- @accountingweb – The leading online community for professional accountants, providing useful, practical advice and inspiration so accountants can make more informed decisions.
- @AICPA – The official Twitter account of the American Institute of CPAs.
- @bstonerCPA – Award Winning CPA; Forbes 2018 top 100 Twitter Tax Acct; Quoted on MarketWatch, CNBC & CNN; #TaxReform #TaxPlanning & #TaxPreparation for Small Business!
- @CariWestonCPA – #AICPA Director-Tax Practice & Ethics.
- @cbriancpa – CPA focusing on tax planning, compliance, start-ups & entrepreneurs.
- @CountingWksPro – Helping CPAs, EAs, accountants and tax professionals to get more clients.
- @CPA_Trendlines – Live links to breaking news for tax, accounting and finance professionals.
- @DebFoxFinancial – Strategic Tax Planning. Startups. ProForma Financials. Cash Flow.
- @GabrielleLuoma – Speaker, Author, Innovative, Creative and Forward Thinking CPA, Entrepreneur.
- @gregkyte – I’m a CPA and a stand up comedian. I tweet jokes. Accounting Jokes. They’re hilarious.
- @IRStaxpros – IRS news and guidance for tax professionals.
- @jberryjohnson – Freelance writer and CPA. Contributor at Forbes, Credit Karma, FreshBooks, Magnify Money, Accounting Principals & more.
- @JodyPadarCPA – Tax Quickbooks CPA Adjunct Professor Xero Firm Partner Sage Networker MACPA Professional Speaker Accounting Today Freshbooks The Radical CPA
- @kerryfreemanea – Tax Professional, Member of National Association of EAs, Arizona Society of EAs and owner of Freeman Income Tax Service in Anthem, AZ. Licensed by U.S. Treasury.
- @leereams2 – CEO of ClientWhys and TaxBuzz.com. Sharing best marketing practices for tax accountants and businesses built by word of mouth.
- @RichardRubinDC – I cover U.S. tax policy for the @WSJ. There is ALWAYS a tax angle
- @SoCalTaxProf – TaxProf Blog: The #1 tax blog on the Internet. Dean and Tax Professor at Pepperdine Law School.
- @taxaddict – All Things #Tax, #Accounting & #Finance. Forbes Top 100 #Tax Twitter to Follow 2018. Co-Founder Parker Tax Publishing.
- @taxbuzzonline -Forbes Top 100 #Tax Twitter to Follow. Get #tax & #accounting help from highly-rated professionals. Easy & free service for individuals & #smallbusiness.
- @taxgirl – Tax lawyer and @Forbes writer. Managing shareholder at The Erb Law Firm, P.C. Author of four books with Forbes.
- @taxfoundation – America’s leading independent tax policy nonprofit for over 80 years.
- @TaxMama – Award winning author – Top 100 accountant and tax blog – dean of TaxMama’s® #EnrolledAgent (EA).
- @taxtweet – Journalist. Tax Geek. Blogger.
- @tropicaltax – Founder/CEO Tropical Tax Solutions: Headquartered in Paradise, Serving Clients Everywhere | #EnrolledAgent
This is our curated list based on expertise, frequency of posts and engagement and number of followers. It is listed in alphabetical order, not by number of followers. The list includes the movers and shakers of the tax and accounting industry that provide valuable insights and updated industry information on a regular basis.
Also, be sure to check out our other curated lists:
The 15 Best Facebook Groups for Accountants and Tax Professionals – 2019
The 15 Best LinkedIn Groups for Accountants and Tax Professionals – 2019
The 25 Best Tax and Accounting Blogs – 2019
If you are an accounting, tax or bookkeeping professional and have questions about Twitter or about how you can generate more referrals from social media, contact us today at 1-800-442-2477 or set up some time to speak with one of our accountant social media experts. We offer a full suite of digital marketing packages, including posting tax and accounting content to your Facebook business page and also growing your referrals coming from social media.